Lettuce has very low calorie content and is composed primarily of water, about 90-95%. It does also contain fiber, minerals, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, iron and magnesium; anti-oxidants such as beta-carotene and vitamins A, C and E, vitamin K, folate as well as many vitamins of the B complex
Lettuce contains unique nutrition that have “sedative” and “painkilling” properties which makes it effective for treating sleep, anxiety and nervous disorders. It is one of the most common leaf vegetables and a basic ingredient of many salads. It is characterized by large, tender leaves, usually light green in color, but sometimes red or purple depending on the variety. Leaves, seeds and the stems can be used for in different ways. Lettuce Seeds/Tukhm-e-Kahu (تخم کا ہو) is also known as Lactuca Sativa Linn.
- They are anti-oxidant and help cleanse the body from toxins, prevent the damage caused by free-radicals, prevent premature aging and lower the risk of chronic diseases and cancer.
- It improves bone health
- Relieve constipation
- Relieve irritable cough, as well as the symptoms of asthma and bronchitis.
- Sedative and use in treatment of sleep disorders, nervous excitability, anxiety and restlessness
- Improve sexual health
- It may help improve brain cognition.
- Urinary tract problems.
- Painful menstrual periods.
- Sexual disorders.
Special Precautions & Warning
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use lettuce seeds during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.