Tragacanth Gum/Gond Katira (گوند کتیرا) comes from a shrub which is mostly found in middle east. It is a tree gum just like any of myrrh but is less common in products than other gums. It is also known as Goat’s Thorn, Green Dragon, Gum Dragon, Gum Tragacanth, Gummi Tragacanthae, Hog Gum, Syrian Tragacanth and Astragalus Gummifer.
Tragacanth gum is a viscous water-soluble mixture of polysaccharides (thus including high protein).
Tragacanth gum has tons of health benefits including
- Tragacanth gum paste is used to treat burns
- It can suppress tumors and stimulates immune system.
- Its a cooling agent and prevents from the heat stroke
- Its purgative properties helps in constipation.
- An effective remedy from any sexual inadequacy in men
- Beneficials in Breast Enlargement
- Effective in Urinary incontinence or involuntary urination
As such Gond Katira does not have any side effects.
- Excessive intake may cause Constipation, Diarrhea, Abdominal Pain, Gas, Hay Fever, Skin Rash.
- It may produce allergic symptoms like Asthma or Contact Dermatitis.
- Drink plenty of water with Tragacanth gum, it may block intestines if you do not drink plenty of water with it.
- Avoid using Tragacanth gum if you are allergic to Quillaia bark. It may cause breathing problems.